Friday, June 28, 2013

Time for an Inspiration Point


In a world that idolizes celebrity, being skinny and the next big fad I want to stand up and be different. I want to reconnect our broken world and remind people why we are really here, to experience as much joy and happiness as we can in the short time we get. There have been many cases of people succeeding great heights in their lives only to be left still feeling empty inside and it's because of a skewed version of what life is "suppose to be." If you ask anyone walking down the street what they want most in life 9 times out of 10 they will respond with "I want to be happy." Yet most of these people don't have a clue of what would genuinely make them happy. Most have adopted the idea that lots of money and "things" will make you happy, and they might for a short time, but then it fades.


True happiness is something that comes from within, something you choose to have and experience. True happiness come from being grateful, genuine and connecting with other people. I use to be one of those people who wanted the big house and the fancy toys but then something changed. I realized that those things were never going to make me truly happy because that's all they were, just things. If I were to save my whole life and get a big house only to have a tornado rip it down what would happen then? I put all my happiness in something outside of myself and out of my control. When that tornado takes the house it takes with it my happiness. I couldn't bare this thought. Instead I choose to keep my happiness inside of myself. My true happiness comes from the experiences I have with others, by bringing joy to others and by choosing to see the brighter side of life. Sure the tornado could take my house but at least I'm still here, I still get to experience this world. Houses will come and go, toys will come and go, but the power you hold within yourself is forever.


Those special moments you've shared with others live on through your memory and the times you've brought joy to others can be the shining light in the darkest of hours. We as humans are capable of so much more than we ever can imagine. I want to be that shining light in the darkness that brings those others out of their darkness, that reminds them how amazing life can be if you only chose to see the good parts and let go of the bad ones. If you don't like a thought or memory, let it go! You're the one choosing to have that thought, so choose to have another, more happy one instead. It's not always easy but it IS always possible, and that's all I need, possible. All these reasons and more are my why. Why I'm choosing to leave on a year long trip of service to others, why I'm choosing to take the road less travelled and why I'm choosing to be the light. Anything is possible if you dream big enough. You can't change the world in one day, but in one day you can change someone's world, and for me that's a good enough reason as any to embark on the #GetRAOKT Random Acts Of Kindness Tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment